Avocado and Oroblanco Salad
3 firm, ripe avocados
3 Oroblanco grapefruits
Jalapeño vinaigrette (recipe below)
1 cup assorted fresh herb leaves, such as mint, parsley, chives, tarragon, and chervil
1. Halve, pit, and peel avocados, and then slice lengthwise and transfer to a wide, shallow mixing bowl. Cut the peel and the thick, white pith from grapefruits. Cut fruit between membranes to release segments; add to the bowl with the avocados. Add jalapeño vinaigrette and toss gently with hands or a large spoon until coated.
2. Divide the salad between 6 chilled plates and garnish with the mixed herbs.
Makes about ½ cup
1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded
¼ white onion, peeled
2 cloves garlic, peeled
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons canola oil
Salt and ground black pepper
1. Place the jalapeño, onion, and garlic into a small saucepan and cover with 1 inch of cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Drain.
2. Transfer the jalapeño, onion, and garlic to a blender. Add the mint and vinegar, and puree until smooth.
3. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in the canola oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.